Documents Your Divorce Attorney Will Need
Working through the divorce process can be overwhelming; sometimes you need a little help organizing what your attorney needs before you can begin the divorce process. Below is a list of the documents your attorney will need over the course of your divorce case. We suggest organizing them by categories, so it is easier for you and your Collin County divorce attorney to find specific documents.
Real Estate Information
- Gather any documentation of property you own separately or together. If you had property before the marriage, make sure you bring documentation that proves ownership.
- If you share a mortgage, bring current statements on your mortgage.
- If you have had a tax assessor assess your properties, bring their statements along as well.
Proof of Income
- Gather all your pay stubs from any and all sources of income from the last year. If you own your own business, bring your personal tax return and any business forms related to your employment.
- If you are able to obtain your spouse’s income information, you may also want to provide this as well.
- Bring copies of your joint tax filings.
Bank Accounting Information
- Bring bank statements for you and your spouse’s joint accounts for the last three years.
- Bring your bank statements from your personal accounts as well as information regarding your savings.
- If you have a retirement fund, 401(k), IRA or mutual fund bring this information.
- Any other investment information.
- Create a list of all your debts in both your own name and your spouse’s name.
- If you have joint credit cards, add these debts to your list.
- Provide the registration on any cars you own separately.
- The title and registration on any cars you own jointly.
- If you have purchased sports or hobby vehicles like jet skis, dirt bikes, or boats, include those titles and registration.
Divorce can be tough, but with the right Collin County divorce lawyer navigating, you can feel confident you will be able to weather the storm. Give us a call to schedule your first appointment with Coker Legal. (940) 293-2313