Unemployment and Child Support

You’ve just gone through a divorce, finally got the child support and visitation squared away, and just when you think things are settling down, you lose your job thanks to the current economic downturn. You may have a nice severance package for now, and you may even qualify for unemployment benefits, but you know you can’t pay your bills and your child support for long, if at all. So, what do you do?

First, you file for unemployment benefits with your local Texas Workforce Commission, and then, you need to make a call to your attorney. The last thing you want to think about may be rehiring your divorce attorney , but it’s better to pay for that than for a bail bond. If you don’t pay your child support, and you are sued for enforcement, you can end up in jail if you don’t take immediate, and proper, action. The fact is, the court needs to be made aware of your situation, even if you and your ex-spouse have reached an agreement. Your attorney will help you file for a modification of child support to either put it on hold or greatly reduce the amount while you remain unemployed.

Note, though, that this modified order is temporary until you find a new job. Once you find new employment, you will have to modify the order once again to reflect your new income. You should also note that the court will not allow an indefinite amount of time to not pay any child support while hunting for a new job. Now if you are really and truly having a difficult time landing a job, then be sure to keep extremely accurate and detailed records regarding your job hunt process as you may need to submit them to the judge as proof that you are indeed searching for a job and not putting off paying child support.

As always, if you need assistance in modifying your child support order, we are more than happy to help!